Ordinance #1330 - An Ordinance of the City of Ferndale, Washington
Regarding the Use of Motorized Foot Scooters
November 1, 2004
A new chapter 10.05 is hereby added to the Ferndale Municipal Code, to read as follows:
"Motorized foot scooter" means a device with no more than a two-inch or smaller diameter wheel that has handlebars, is designed to be stood or sat upon by the operator, and is powered by an internal combustion engine or electronic motor that is capable of propelling the device with or without human propulsion.
"Helmet" means a protective covering for the head consisting of a hard outer shell, padding adjacent to and inside the outer shell, and a neck or chin strap retention system, with a label as required by the Federal Consumer Products Safety Commission and as adopted by the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) as 16 CFR 1203.
- 10.05.020 Duty to Obey Traffic Control Devices and Rules of the Road
- Any person operating a motorized foot scooter shall obey all rules of the road applicable to vehicle or pedestrian traffic, as well as the instructions of official traffic-control signals, signs, and other control devices applicable to vehicles, unless otherwise directed by a police officer.
- It is unlawful to operate or ride a motorized foot scooter upon any sidewalk within the City of Ferndale.
- No person shall transport or tow another person on, in, or with a motorized foot scooter upon any public right-of-way within the City of Ferndale.
- Every motorized scooter upon a public right-of-way within the City of Ferndale at any time from a half hour after sunset to a half hour before sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the public right-of-way are not clearly discernable at a distance of 1,000 feet, shall display a lighted headlight, a lighted stop light, lighted turn signals, and at least two illuminating reflectors of a type approved by the Washington State Patrol.
- Every motorized foot scooter shall be equipped with a brake that will enable the operator to make the brake wheels stop on dry, level, clean pavement.
- Operation of a motorized foot scooter without a muffling device, or operation with a modified muffling device, is prohibited.
- Any person operating a motorized foot scooter upon any right-of-way within the City of Ferndale shall wear an approved helmet.
Any person violating any provision of Ferndale Municipal Code 10.05.010 through 10.05.030 shall be guilty of an infraction and shall be punished by the imposition of a monetary penalty of not more than $250.00, further, the device ridden at the time of the violation shall be subject to impound by the City for a period of ten (10) days.