Home Emergency Preparedness Kit
The City of Ferndale encourages all residents to be prepared in the event of any disaster. One aspect of this preparedness is having emergency supplies available and being prepared to be on your own for a period of at least 72 hours.
Assemble the supplies you might need in an evacuation. Store them in an easy to carry container such as a backpack, duffle bag, or a large, covered trash container. Think about your family's unique needs when putting together your kit.
- A supply of water (one gallon per person per day). Store water in sealed, unbreakable containers. Identify the storage date and replace every six months
- Non-perishable foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking and use little or no water.
- A first aid kit and prescription medicines (check with your pharmacist about storing prescriptions)
- An extra pair of glasses
- A battery-powered radio, flashlight and plenty of extra batteries
- Credit cards and cash
- An extra set of car keys
- Change of clothing; blankets, sleeping bags
- A list of family physicians
- A list of important family information; the style and serial number of medical devices such as pacemakers
- Special items for infants, elderly or disabled family members
- Tool kit and other supplies such as utility knife, can opener (non-electric), fire extinguisher, mess kit, pliers, duct tape, matches, plastic sheeting, shut-off wrench (for household gas/water)
- Books, games, etc.
- Copies of important family papers, identification, bank account/credit card numbers, etc., in waterproof, portable container
- Pet preparedness kit
For more information, please visit